just another canvas

11 August 2005

CBGB-OMFUG



Court ruling helps punk venue CBGB cling to life
The legendary CBGB is clinging to life after a court ruling Wednesday.

Manhattan Civil Court Judge Joan M. Kenney ruled the club does not owe its landlord back rent and declined a request to evict the landmark punk venue.

In her decision, Kenney called the famed New York club a "pillar of the community" and an anchor to a renaissance of the surrounding Bowery neighbourhood, which had been plagued by "destitution, degradation and substance abuse" when founder Hilly Kristal opened the club's doors in 1973.
- CBC Arts News
more...


yeah, I can keep wearing my t-shirt!

from CBGB.com:
The question most often asked of me is, "What does CBGB stand for?"
I reply, "It stands for the kind of music I intended to have, but not the
kind that we became famous for: COUNTRY BLUEGRASS BLUES."
The next question is always, "but what does OMFUG stand for?" and I say
"That's more of what we do, It means OTHER MUSIC FOR UPLIFTING
GORMANDIZERS." And what is a gormandizer? It's a voracious eater of,
in this case, MUSIC. - Hilly Kristal, Owner


 

a collection of random posts, pictures, etc.