just another canvas

27 April 2005

BC Election 2005

So I thought I'd register for the election happening in the province I call home. I read an article stating that we have a record amount of people registered. Awesome! So I figured that this election should be worth being involved in. Wouldn't you? it's kinda like a mob mentality, I guess. Everyone else is, why shouldn't I? Don't get me wrong, I always vote if I can, so that I have the right to bitch later.
While I was on the BC Elections website, I thought I'd use their great little riding finder to see if everthing was still the same as last time. And sure enough, it's still Chilliwack-Kent, and I still vote at the same church on Broadway as always. Cool cool. Now, what about the candidates?

Well, we have Barry Penner, BC Liberal.
That's it.
No one else.
No NDP.
No Green Party.
No nothin'.
Maybe a no vote? Maybe actually vote twice and have them thrown out. That way i can say I voted, but it won't actually help out the Liberals.

Atleast there is the referendum...
But don't get me wrong, Barry does great work I'm sure, and will continue to do so in the next run. I just prefer to vote based on the party, not the MLA. And I really don't want to vote Liberal. I think I could now handle voting NDP, but where did Me. Lees go?

Wait, maybe I can vote in my sister's riding! My drivers license is listed for there. Hmmm. Langley should have some good options. We have:
Mary Polak, BC Liberal
Kathleen Blanche Stephany, BC Green Party
hmmm....well atleast there's a Green there. this is according to the list dated yesterday from BC Elections. There is a NDP listed for Langley according to him.

But I have a question: Is it the year of the chick? where did all the women in politics come from this year? I don't mind, but there just seems to be an influx this go around. We have these to, the only candidates in the riding, NDP leader Carole James, and what seems to be atleast one in each other riding. (Except Chilliwack, we only have the one candidate to begin with, and that couldn't possibly be a girl.)

I figure I will try and vote for the Green Party and Kathleen with her obvious hippie "I'm keeping my maiden name too" last name. As long as I can manage to get a piece of mail at my sisters. I know it's probably wrong, but it no where near as bad as what the Fiberals are doing.

For some unbiased reading, and some biased sources too, check The Tyee - Election Central out as a great source.


 

a collection of random posts, pictures, etc.